Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Figure Drawing

Well, here are my latest two drawings from the Tuesday Night Figure Drawing class held at the Stone Avenue Gallery. My first, which is vine charcoal on newsprint, was the long pose. I'm not entirely happy with the drawing, as I think there are a number of elements that are unresolved, especially, the area where the man is holding the gun and the right foot. The parts that I do like are the way the fabrics work together and the left knee and boot.


My second drawing is a quick sketch using water-soluble graphite on brown paper. I like this one much better. It's a looser drawing that has more character to it. It was my second attempt of the night to use the graphite, with my first attempt on a sand-paper like material. When I put the water on the graphite, it rubbed the front of the paper right off of the backing. Oops! So, I quickly re-sketched Cecil and made attempt number two! I really like the water-soluble graphite and can't wait to use it more.


Looking at the two drawings side-by-side, it is clear to me that all the trouble I was having with the face on the charcoal drawing really was an issue. These two don't even look like the same man! Oh well, it's great practice.

0 comments: