Sunday, May 18, 2008

Illustration Freelance

Hello everyone. As many of you know, about a month ago, I discovered an ad on Craigslist.org for an illustrator for hire to illustrate a children's book. I took a chance and applied for the work and after a few weeks, some rough pencil sketches and a couple of meetings, I got the job! The author is a Music Therapist here in Tucson, Pamela Ott and the book is titled "Going On a Train." I am working the illustrations out in pencil on paper and then translate that to the computer and do the color and line work in Adobe Illustrator and PhotoShop. I am doing a pastel chalk look and here are a few examples of the way the book is coming.

This is the pencil sketch for the first couple of pages.

This is an unfinished color sample of the above sketch. I still plan on adding in more detail to both the foreground and the background, as well as a walkway up to the train. I also have a bit of a perspective issue that I am addressing which will be done in the final rendering.

Anyway, I'd love to get people's feedback as I move forward with this book.

1 comments:

Arabian Acres said...

Kerrie, I love the pictures, both the color and the sketch. You are an incredible artist and I think the book is going to look great.