Sunday, April 12, 2009

Green Pozole with Chicken


I adapted this recipe from an issue of Gourmet some years ago. If you are interested in the original recipe, click HERE. I've made the original recipe exactly as stated and altered it along the way to quicken the cooking time.

Green Pozole with Chicken:

  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 onion
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1 lb. tomatillos
  • 2 jalapeños
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup shredded chicken
  • 2 15oz. cans hominy
  • 1 bay leaf
Accompaniments:
  • Diced radish
  • Diced avocado
  • Chopped fresh cilantro
  1. Roast tomatillos and jalapeños until skins are browned in oven under broiler setting. After roasting, place peppers in plastic bag until skins are loose and peel from pepper. Slice peppers in 1/2, removing ribs and seeds; set aside for later.
  2. Dice onion and chop garlic; sauté in 1 tbsp. olive oil in large pot.
  3. Place tomatillos, jalapeños, onion, garlic chopped parsley, chopped cilantro into blender and blend until smooth.
  4. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in large pan and add blended mix. Bring to boil and stir until thickened—about 5 minutes.
  5. Add chicken broth, hominy, shredded chicken and bay leaf. Bring to boil and let simmer 1/2 hour. Add in seeds and ribs from reserved jalapeños to desired heat.
  6. Serve as desired with accompaniments.

Thicken base under moderate heat about 5 minutes.


Serve with radish, avocado and fresh chopped cilantro.

I think this recipe could easily be converted to a vegetarian dish. The flavor is all in the broth and hominy.

5 comments:

Arabian Acres said...

OK, now that looks good too. Am I going to have to come back out to AZ to have that? :) Think I'll pass on the ole' cilantro though!

kerrie said...

I think you could make this soup exactly the same, just replace the cilantro with fresh parsley. Also, I'd add in a little coriander to give it that pozole kick. Could add in a bit of cumin too to make up for the missing cilantro.

I'd be more than happy to make this when I come out to Colorado.

Mountain Mama said...

Mmm. I'll make it Wednesday. Tonight is Easter leftovers and tomorrow is knitting night.

kerrie said...

Cool Mountain Mama. I'm going to have to try this dish as a vegetarian dish. I think I'd like to make a roasted vegetable stock to start this one off.

If you have any good veggie stock recipes, I'd love to try one. I'm not sure what besides carrots, onions and garlic and herbs to use in vegetable stock.

Unknown said...

I have had the pleasure of enjoying a bowl of this wonderful soup prepared by Kerrie herself and let me tell you, "I believe it is quite perfect just the way it is"! But then I love cilantro.

It was the hit of our pot luck and everyone left wanting more!
Thanks for the treat Kerrie :)